Construction Technology is a branch of Civil Engineering. This Construction Technology programme deals with the study of construction methods. Construction technologists design, plan, construct and manage infrastructures such as highways, bridges, airports, buildings, dams, Tunnel, railroads, etc. Hence, the course will focus on different types of materials used for construction, along with testing procedures to assure quality control. It covers the fundamentals of construction Industries. The course focuses on the construction and structural principles, safety standards, and the steps involve in the design, procurement and construction of a project.
Following are the some top institution which provides this course:
- IIT Bombay(Indian Institute of Technology
- NIT Trichy-National Institute of Technology
- NIT Surathkal (NITK)- National Institute of Technology
- VJTI Mumbai-Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute
- COEP-College of Engineering, Pune
- CEPT University
- RIT-Roorkee Institute of Technology
- Amity University
- DR. D. Y. Patil Institute of Technology,Pune
This topic highlights some strategy and function how design, procurement and construction of a project happen. Some highlights points are given below:
- Steps in the design, procurement and construction of a project.
- Documentation involved in a construction project.
- Different types of schedules and estimates and how different people on a construction project use them.
- Basic structural and building construction principals
- Processes of a construction project including design, bidding, project closeout.
- Different types of law that are involved in the construction process.
- Safety standards that are involved in a construction project.
- Types of costs that are recorded on a construction project.
Course and Eligibility:
|B. Tech||4 years||12th with at least 60 % of marks (SC/ST-55%) with science stream (physics, chemistry and mathematics) from a recognized Board||
|M. Tech||2 years||Complete B. Tech degree with at least 60% of marks (SC/ST- 55%), qualified GATE score.||
Some of the top companies who hire the Construction Technology Engineers:
- Ashok Buildcon.
- TATA Consulting Engineers Ltd.
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
- Jacobs Engineering.
- Maytas Infra Ltd.
- Essar Group.
- Gammon India Ltd.
- Land Transport Authority
For B. Tech-
- A candidate must have to qualify the entrance exams conducted by the various Universities.
- After qualifying the entrance exam students to go through the counselling procedure conducted by the Universities.
- Students can get their seat by the score secured in the entrance exam.
- Some institutions give direct admission to the candidates by taking the mark list obtained in the 12th.
For M. Tech-
- Based on GATE score or Entrance Exam results conducted by the University of Mark obtained in the graduation.
- Building construction & design
- Construction inspection
- Construction planning and control
- Design of structures
- Heavy equipment operations
- Metals fabrication
- Project management & planning
|Semester I||Semester II||Semester III||Semester IV|
|Construction and planning||Construction Methods and Equipment Management||Seminar||Progress Seminar|
|Contracts, Administration and Arbitration||Safety Management in construction||Projects Stage I||Projects Stage II|
|Life Cycle Costing of Infrastructures||Advanced concrete Technology||-||-|
|Irrigation water distribution System||Environment and Energy Management||-||-|
|Laboratory Practice I||Laboratory Practice II||-||-|
- An analytical mind and critical thinking skills.
- Good laboratory skills.
- An ability to quickly assess large amounts of information and data.
- Leadership skills.
- Self-confidence and motivation.
- Good Communication skills.
- Analytical Knowledge of Mathematics and Physics.
There are some of the top entrances for this Construction Technology course in an institution or a University.
- JEE main (Joint Entrance Examination)
- JEE Advanced
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission test)
- VITEEE (Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Examination)
- SRMJEEE (SRM Joint Entrance Examination for Engineering)
- COMEDK (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka)
- KIITEE (Karnataka Institute of Industrial Technology Entrance Exam)
- WBJEE ( West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination)
- BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test Engineering)
- CCMT (Centralized Counselling for M. Tech)
Career and Job prospective:
Candidates from graduate and postgraduate get recruited in various sector of India like Healthcare, Transport and Communication Infrastructure, Construction and Property, etc.
|Job Post||Job Description||Salary|
|Tunnel Construction Engineer||A engineer to monitor construction on a tunnel construction site, project engineers in construction management for an authority or a company from the DB AG rail company or other private or public enterprises.||2.8 lakhs to 3.5 lakhs per year|
|Resident Construction Engineer||Resident Engineers supervise the planning, coordination and implementation of construction projects. The types of projects vary, ranging from constructing bridges to the development of roads and highways. They ensure the projects adhere to all plans and regulations and that safety measures are appropriately taken.||2 lakhs to 10 lakhs per year|
|Construction Planning Engineer||Planning engineers decide and develop the most appropriate economic models and engineering methods for projects. Planning engineers are normally onsite during an engineering project to supervise all stages of work and provide solutions.||5 lakhs to 6 lakhs per year|
|Construction Engineer||A construction Engineer focuses on the design, planning, building and management of roads, bridges, utility systems, dams and other pieces of infrastructure||4 lakhs to 5 lakhs per year|
|Lecture/ Professor||A Professor gives lecture or teaches the students about the construction technology.||8 lakhs to 10 lakhs per year|
|Quality Control Engineer||Quality control engineers are responsible for testing new products and determining whether those products meet the standards of the business in reliability, durability and functionality. Some quality control engineers are responsible for writing procedures and drafting the evaluations for the products they work with.||3 lakhs to 4 lakhs per year|
|Planning Engineer||Planning engineers decide and develop the most appropriate economic models and engineering methods for projects. They work in a variety of fields such as civil engineering or construction||4 lakhs to 8 lakhs per year|
|Supervisory Engineer||A Supervision Engineers work closely with the local team, supporting and supervising them on the Site supervision works, including supervision of construction, testing and examining materials used and workmanship employed, and providing overall guidance and advice to construction supervision/contractors.||2 lakhs to 3 lakhs per year|
Q: Scope for Construction Technology;
A: A career after this engineering is highly rewarding. There are some jobs that involve supervision, construction, design and analyzes of private as well as public projects, such as dams, highways, canals, water sewages and bridges.
Q: Why Construction Technology required?
A: We're able to build stronger, taller, and more energy-efficient structures by applying Construction Technology. Technology has made construction sites safer and workers more efficient. It has allowed us to increase productivity, improve collaboration, and tackle more complex projects.