Chemical engineering deals with designing, developing, maintaining, executing, producing chemical raw materials or processes to make/evolve something that will be beneficial for our surroundings. These engineers induce experiments in laboratories using chemical items, transforming one substance into another using or discovering certain new procedures. Keeping an eye on the safety and security of a certain product on the environment, these people also give their ideas in the creation of products which enhance our everyday life. These items include shampoo, soap, food or dairy items, glass or plastic materials, and many more.
Top Colleges for Chemical Engineering In India
- Indian Institute of Technology Chennai
- National Institute of Technology Warangal, Allahabad, Calicut
- Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala
- Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology Surat
- MIT World Peace University, Pune
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Most of the students are unsure about Chemical Engineering. The course plan about chemical engineering gives the clear plan and understanding to students.This section highlights all the details of courses offers in chemical engineering. Here is the complete details of courses,duration,exam,fee,salary,various job role etc.
|Diploma, undergraduate, post-graduate
|2 years, 3 years, 2 years
|Rs 20,000 - Rs300, 000 per annum
|Rs 50,000 - 9 lakh per annum
|Chemical Engineer, Site Engineer, Fire & Safety Officer, Technical Operator
Courses and Eligibility:
Chemical Engineering course provides Diploma, B.Tech, and M.Tech program by various engineering colleges. Students must go through the eligibility criteria before applying for this course.The complete details about courses and eligibility of Chemical Engineering engineering are as follows:
|Diploma in Chemical Engineering
|B.E./B.Tech. Chemical Engineering
|M.E./M.Tech. Chemical Engineering
- Reliance Industries Ltd
- Essar Oil Limited
- Deepak Fertilizers and Petrochemicals Corp. Ltd
- Gujarat Gas Company Limited
- Gujarat Alkalies & Chemicals Ltd
- Reliance Petroleum Limited
- Arofine Polymers Ltd
- Colour-Chem Ltd
- Godavari Fertilisers and Chemicals Limited
- Tecnimont ICB Ltd
- Toyo Engineering India Ltd
- Larsen & Toubro Ltd
- Century Textiles and Industries Ltd
- Hindustan Lever Ltd
For Diploma in Chemical Engineering:
Admission to this program is done on the basis of Merit list. However, merit list cut-off marks are subject to vary from institution to institution according to the norms prescribed by respective colleges.
For B.Tech in Chemical Engineering:
The general admission process in most of the institutes is on the basis of entrance tests. There are several state level and national level engineering entrance tests such as JEE Main, SRMJEEE, etc. Although there are some institutes which provide admission through merit basis.
Various engineering colleges offer admission to the diploma holders directly in the 2nd year which is called lateral entry.
For M.Tech in Chemical:
The admission process generally consists of a written examination and an interview thereafter. Most institutes provide direct admission to candidates who have a relatively high percentage in academics in their 10, +2, and B.Tech. But, to apply for IITs, the candidate must have a valid GATE score.
There are various programs offered in Chemical Engineering. These are Diploma, B.Tech, and M.Tech programs. Here are the complete details of semester wise syllabus of all three programs.
For Diploma in Chemical Engineering:
Here we present the syllabus or subjects of study for Diploma in Engineering as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges.
|Basic Chemical Engineering
|Electrical & Electronics Engineering
|Safety & Chemical Hazards
For B.Tech in Chemical Engineering:
B. Tech in Chemical Engineering is of duration 4 years having 8 semesters.
|Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
|Computer Programming and Utilization
|Data Analytics and Interpretation
|Introduction to Chemical Engineering
|Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer
|Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
|Process Fluid Mechanics
|Introduction to Transport Phenomena
|Introduction to Numerical Analysis
|Experimentation and Measurements Lab
|Molecular and Statistical Thermodynamics
|Molecular Cell Biology
|Chemical Reaction Engineering
|Inst. Elective 1
|Dept. Elective 1
|Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Circuits
|Mass Transfer Operations
|Advanced Transport Phenomena
|Chemical Reaction Engineering 2
|Chemistry Lab 2
|Chemistry Lab 3
|Design Lab 1
|Process Equipment Design and Economics
|Design Lab 2
|Inst. Elective 2
|Dept. Elective 2
|Chemical Process Design
|Honours Elective 1
|Dept. Elective 3 and 4
|Chemistry Lab 4
|Honours Elective 2
For M.Tech in Chemical Engineering
M. Tech in Chemical Engineering is of duration 2 years having 4 semesters.
|Process Modelling and civilization
|Fluidization engineering advancement
|Advanced process control
|Chemical process design
|Advanced chemical engineering
|Phenomena of Advanced transportation
|Advanced Organic Chemistry
|Analysis of chemical reactors
|Designing of chemical reactors
|Chemical Process in Industries
|Analysis of Energy Engineering
|Analysis and Instrumental Methods
|Advancement in Materials Sciences and Technology
|Advanced Chemical Engineering
Skills Required for Chemical Engineer
Chemical engineers apply the principles of chemistry, biology, physics, and math to solve problems that involve the production or use of chemicals, fuel, drugs, food, and many other products. They design processes and equipment for large-scale manufacturing, plan and test production methods and byproducts treatment, and direct facility operations.
Duties of Chemical Engineers:
- Conduct research to develop new and improved manufacturing processes.
- Establish safety procedures for those working with dangerous chemicals.
- Develop processes for separating components of liquids and gases, or for generating electrical currents, by using controlled chemical processes.
- Design and plan the layout of the equipment.
- Conduct tests and monitors the performance of processes throughout production.
- Troubleshoot problems with manufacturing processes.
- Evaluate equipment and processes to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
- Estimate production costs for management.
- Some chemical engineers, known as process engineers, specialize in a particular process, such as oxidation (a reaction of oxygen with chemicals to make other chemicals) or polymerization (making plastics and resins).
- Others specialize in a particular field, such as nanomaterials (extremely small substances) or biological engineering. Still, others specialize in developing specific products.
- In addition, chemical engineers work in the production of energy, electronics, food, clothing, and paper. They must understand how the manufacturing process affects the environment and the safety of workers and consumers.
- Chemical engineers also conduct research in the life sciences, biotechnology, and business services.
Top Engineering Entrance Exams
Chemical engineerins is full time four year graduate program.Students have to appear in different national level entrance exams or the entrance exam conduted by the institute itself. Some admission is done through merit list prepared by the institute. Students have to qualify for these entrance exams to take admission in Chemical Engineering. Here is the list of some top entrance exam
Career and Job Prospects:
This is the best career option that students have mostly choose. In this field students have more opportunities to build their career. Here the complete details of various job post with a complete description and their average salary of this particular field.
Average salary per annum
|Senior Process Engineer
|Analyze product specifications to develop process and design alternatives. Manage and coordinate the transition from product development to final production. Pilot, prototype, and scale-up prototypes to test for manufacturing and quality issues.
|3 - 7 lakh rupees
|Chemical engineers (or process engineers) are responsible for developing new industrial processes and designing new process plants and equipment or modifying existing ones. using and developing process simulation software to work out the best production methods. purchasing and installing equipment.
|4 - 8 lakh rupees
|Controlling equipment generating power, reading through charts, meters, checking voltage, and flow of electricity.
|1 - 2 lakh rupees
|Setting up systems, operation, and troubleshoot machines/equipment. Analyze the blueprints/designs, suggest measures and work in liaison with the team and management
|1 -2 lakh rupees
|Engineers in Oil and gas Industry
|Implementing various systems in the industry
|2 - 4 lah rupees
|Installation, maintain and repair equipment, carry on troubleshoot, monitor the safety of equipment for use.
|2 - 3 lakh rupees
|Teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate level
|3 - 5 lakh rupees
Q: What personal qualities does someone in this field need?
A: Patience, attention to detail (though not for all positions, perhaps), and assertiveness (especially important for women since this is a male-dominated field).
Q: What skills should I develop to be successful in this field?
A: Science and math. Good writing and oral presentation skills. The ability to work with others on teams. Problem-solving.
Q: What are the positive aspects of being a chemical engineer?
A: Interesting work, interesting problems to solve, involved in making life better for society, a relatively good salary.
Q: The practical work done is mainly in teams or individually?
A: A lot of work is team-oriented. All depend on each other to bring certain results or knowledge to the group as a whole so that they can accomplish their overall goal. Even training also involves working with teams.
Q: What is the basic eligibility criteria to pursue B.Tech in Chemical Engineering?
A: The candidate should fulfil the following criteria tp pursue B.Tech in Chemical Engineering:
- Candidates should have passed 10+2 with a minimum of 45%, PCM as one of their core subjects from any recognized Institution.
- The candidate who completed the diploma course can enter directly into the 2nd year of B. Tech.
- The candidate has to qualify the entrance examination.
Q: What is the average salary of a chemical engineer?
A: The average salary of a chemical engineer ranges from 4 - 8 lakh rupees per annum.
Q: What is the admission process into the Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
A: Admission to this program is done on the basis of Merit list. However, merit list cut-off marks are subject to vary from institution to institution according to the norms prescribed by respective colleges.
Q: Can I get Admission in M.Tech in Chemical Engineering without appearing Gate?
A: Yes, most institutes provide direct admission to candidates who have a relatively high percentage in academics in their 10, +2, and B.Tech. But, to apply for IITs, the candidate must have a valid GATE score.