Ceramic Engineering is one of the most important branches of engineering which refers to the study of the creation of objects from inorganic & non-metallic materials. This process needs the help of the action of heat, or at lower temperatures using precipitation reactions from high purity chemical solutions. Ceramic materials may have a crystalline structure, with long-range order on atomic scale. Ceramics are used in the gas burner nozzles, Space shuttle program, ballistic protection, bio-medical implants, nuclear fuel uranium oxide pellets, jet engine turbine blades, and missile nose cones. Ceramics are used for manufacturing airframes, aircraft engines, Space shuttles tiles, etc.
- In this field of ceramic engineering students have the options of working with prestigious institutes like the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), DMRL, BARC, etc which provide necessary job requirements.
- Ceramics are now used not only in traditional domestic industrial, and building products but also in biomedical applications such as dental implants, synthetic bones.
|Diploma||3 years||Complete 10th with minimum %||No such entrance|
|B. Tech||4 years||10+2 with science(Math, Science, Physics) with at least 50% marks||JEE main, JEE advance etc|
|M. Tech||2 years||B. Tech degree holder||GATE|
- Indian Space Research organization (ISRO)
- Defense Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL)
- Institute for plasma Research (IPR)
- Bhabha Atomic Research center (BARC)
- After completing 10th standard board exam, one can apply for the diploma course of 3 years. The minimum marks required vary from institution to institution.
- By qualifying any national level, state level or any particular college entrance exam like JEE main, JEE advanced, IIT-JEE, NIT etc, one can get admission in top colleges to pursue B. Tech.
- For admission in PG course known as M. Tech after completing B. Tech, candidates can apply through GATE.
- Research and development of the ceramic materials
- Designing and construction of plants and machinery along with other engineers.
- Planning and developing process system.
- Planning and implementation of processing methodologies.
- Designs and development of various application like glass, porcelain, cement, refractors, insulators, composite materials, enamels, cement, etc.
- A ceramic engineer should have good communication skills.
- He/she must be a problem solver. He could recognize the nature of the problem and discover original, unusual, or creative ways to solve problem.
- He should have strength in Math and Science, can solve a problem using mathematical method or formula.
- Manage the time of self and others, can motivate and direct people.
- Team work is must needed, use several methods to learn or teach new things, use several methods to learn or teach new things.
Career and Job Prospects:
|Ceramic Technologist||Work in the research, development, production and quality control of ceramics & ceramic products.||5 lakh to 9 lakh|
|Ceramic Designer||Work with clay, porcelain, bone china and stoneware to design and crest pottery items, sculptures, homeware, tableware & cookware||3 lakh to 6 lakhs|
|Technician||Show specialized and technical duties to ensure efficient and safe operation of studio euipment, instruct others on the safe use of studio equipment.||1.5 lakh to 3 lakh|
|Construction manager||Plan, direct, coordinate, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction.||4.5 lakhs to 9 lakhs|
|Production Worker||Responsible for operating & maintaining equipment in a factory or warehouse and preparing items for distribution.||1 lakh to 2.3 lakhs|
|Marketing Executive||Develop and oversee marketing campaigns to promote products and services, conducting market research and analysis to evaluate trends, brand awareness & competition ventures.||1.5 lakh to 5 lakh|
|Professor||Teach courses pertaining to the application of physical laws and principles of engineering and subjects related to ceramic engineering.||3.5 to 5 lakh|
|Researcher||Offers supervise research projects and work with team members, determine goals, review and analyze data during the course of the project.||5.5 to 9 lakhs|
Q: What ceramic engineers do?
A: Ceramic Engineers usually develop new ceramic products as well as methods & equipment for processing ceramic materials. They also teach and do research in Universities and work with a wide variety of products, ranging from glassware & electronic components to nuclear reactors.
Q: What is the use of Ceramic?
A: The products of ceramic are penetrable, hard, and delicate. So they are used to make pottery, bricks, tiles, cement, and glass. They are also used in gas turbine engines space shuttle program, ballistic protection, bio-medical implants, etc.