Petrochemical Engineering is the 4-year program course, a specialized branch of Chemical Engineering which deals with production and refining of petroleum, natural gases and of the crude oils. The task of the petrochemical engineer is to discover and extract the natural resources of oil, from earth, refine it and make them usable. There are two major parts of Petroleum Engineering that are:
Upstream Sector - It comprises of exploration, production and the exploitation of oil and the natural gases
Downstream Sector - This sector deals with refining, marketing, and distribution of the various petroleum products. The refining process is challenging for a crucial oil product as it can be used.
The top colleges for the course study of Petrochemical Engineering are as :
The highlights for the course study of Petrochemical Engineering are :
|Duration|| 4 years|
|Major Specialization||Petroleum Upstreaming, Petroleum Downstreaming|
|Average Fee || 3 Lakh INR to 5 Lakh INR|
Courses & Eligibility
|B.Tech||4 years||Minimum of the 10, +2 qualification in the Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics with an aggregate of 50%. ||JEE Main, BITSAT|
|M.Tech||2 years||The candidates must have completed their B.Tech in the course study of Petrochemical Engineering from a recognized institute||GATE, UPESEAT|
The top recruiters for the course study of Petrochemical Engineering are as :
- Essar Oil Limited
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
- Oil India Ltd
- Reliance Petrochemicals
The admission process for the course study of Petrochemical Engineering is generally based on the entrance examinations held by the institutes and the qualifying exams. There are also some institutes which provide direct merit-based admission based on the qualifying exams for the course study of Petrochemical Engineering.
After the entrance exams, the next the candidates present for the personal interview, where they are examined. Also, there are institutes known to incorporate group discussions and two personal rounds for the admission process.
Syllabus and Courses
The course and syllabus for the course study of Petrochemical Engineering are spread over 8 semesters. The subjects based on are science and the other elective subjects which are spread over 8 semesters. Few of the subjects based on the course study are :
- Environment Science
- Workshop Technology
- Material & Energy Flow Computation
- Engineering Graphics
- Programming Language DBMS
- Mechanics of Solids
- Introduction to Petrochemical Operations
- Thermodynamics and Heat Engines
- Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
- Material Science
- Particulate Technology
- Heat Transfer Process
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- Polymer Engineering
- Natural Gas Engineering & Processing
- Industrial Management
- Petrochemical Processes
- Pipeline Transportation of Oil & Gas
- Health, Safety & Environment Mangement
The skills required for the Petrochemical Engineers to be are :
- Analytical Skills: To ensure that operations operate safely and effectively, the engineers must be able to compile and make sense of large amounts of technical information.
- Creativity: Petroleum Engineers must be come up with creative designs to analyze and extract oil and gas, as each site has its own challenges to overcome.
- Interpersonal Skills: The Petrochemical Engineers must work with projects which require highly equipment, machinery and the infrastructure. Here communicating and working good with other engineers with the oil and gas workers, to confirm that the respective projects meet customer needs.
- Math Skills: The principles of calculus and other advanced topics in case of analysis, design, and to troubleshoot their respective work.
- Problem-solving Skills: The challenges for the petroleum engineers is to identify the problems in drilling plans and these problems could be costly, so the engineers are expected not to overlook any issues and positively address the same.
The entrances for the course study of Petrochemical Engineering are conducted by the respective institutes from the state level to the national level. These are the exams conducted recurring year and are considered with high esteem. Few of the entrance examination are:
Career and Job Prospects
Average Salary Per Annum
|Operations Engineer||The job of an operations engineer is to make sure a company's operations, such as manufacturing and shipping, work properly and meet factory and management specifications. These engineers handle any repairs or upgrades to the machinery and coordinate with other department heads to fine-tune their operations systems.||4 - 6 lakhs|
|Safety Engineer||The Job. Safety engineers develop policies to ensure the safety of an environment, its customers and employees. They inspect the equipment, environments, and buildings to identify areas that can potentially cause health and safety hazards.||3 - 4 lakhs|
|they are responsible for performing quantity determination inspections of shore tanks, railcars and tank trucks for quantity surveys of a variety of commodities including petroleum and petrochemicals inspections and collect samples for laboratory analysis.||7 - 8 lakhs|
|Process Engineer||The role of a Process Engineer includes Developing, configuring and optimizing industrial processes from inception through to start up and certification. Assessing processes, taking measurements and interpreting data. Designing, running, testing and upgrading systems and processes.||4 - 5 lakhs|
|Control Engineer||Control engineers design and monitor the quality, safety, and efficiency of control systems in manufacturing plants. ... This job is well suited to people who are analytical in their approach to data and projects, who enjoy working with others to improve systems, and who are great problem solvers.||3 - 4 lakhs|
Question: What are the subjects in petrochemical engineering?
Answer: The major subjects related to the case study of Petrochemical Engineering are
- Fundamentals of Petroleum Engineering
- Drilling Engineering
- Petroleum Production Engineering
Question: What do petrochemical engineers do?
Answer: Petrochemical Engineers work in the "petrochem" industry, that produces chemical products using oil and natural gas derived from the raw materials.