Mechanical and automation engineering is the branch which mainly focuses on designing and manufacturing of machines. Engineers design and assemble engines and power plants, structures and vehicles of all sizes and deals with the use of machines, control systems and information technology. This branch teaches the techniques and principles of mechanics, materials and energy to design as well as manufacture machines and devices of all kinds. This engineer has a range of high-level skills in two complementary areas: mechanical engineering and automation. This engineering domain involves the resolution of any technical and scientific problem involved in the study, development, size, design, manufacturing and industrialization of an automated mechanical device.
Mechanical and Automation Engineering is a demanded course in India. Some lists of the college who offered this course, which is listed below:
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay)
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IIT Kanpur)
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras)
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IIT Roorkee)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS-Pilani)
- Indian Institute of Technology – Banaras Hindu University (IIT-BHU)
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Guwahati)
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- Indian School of Mines (ISM)
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal
- Birla Institute of Technology
This course highlights some basic subjects which are given below:
- Biomechanics Engineering / Biomaterial
- Dynamics, Controls & Vibrations
- Energy / Heat & Mass transfer / Thermal Science
- Fluid Mechanics / Computational Fluid Mechanics
- Combustion/IC Engine modelling (Experimental, Computational)
- Controls, Robotics
- Materials / MEMS / NANO - 3D Printing
- Solid Mechanics - Computational mechanics
Courses and Eligibility:
|Bachelor Degree (B. Tech)||4 years||
Candidates must have the 10+2 qualification with a minimum of 60% aggregate and have relaxation for reserved category.
Candidates have to qualify the entrance exam.
|Master Degree (M. Tech)||2 years||
Candidates must have a bachelor degree in Mechanical and Automation Engineering.
Candidates must qualify the PG entrance exam.
Some of the private and government organisation, hire the candidates from the Mechanical and Automation Engineering course, which are listed below:
- Indian oil
- Tata Motors
Candidates who desire to enter into this course have to fulfil the eligibility criteria of the institutions or Universities. Everyone has their own eligibility criteria. To take into the course students have to go through the entrance exam. Upon qualifying the JEE-main exam, students go through the counselling procedure for admission. Students who qualify the JEE-main exam are eligible for JEE-advanced exam for taking admission into the IITs and NITs based on their performance.
- Applied Mathematics – I
- Applied Physics – I
- Applied Chemistry – I
- Manufacturing Process Introduction to Computers and Auto CAD Communication Skills – I
- Impact of Science & Technology on Society
- Applied Mathematics – II
- Applied Physics – II
- Applied Chemistry – II
- Introduction to Programming Engineering
- Mechanics Electrical Science Communication Skills – II
- Numerical Analysis & Programming Electronics
- Thermal Science
- Mechanics of Solids Production Technology
- Mechanics of Fluids
- Kinematics & Dynamics of Machines
- Heat Transfer
- Manufacturing Machines
- Electrical Machines Operation Research
- LAN & Networking
- Microprocessors & Applications Machine Design- I
- Material Science & Metallurgy
- Measurement & controls Database Management Systems
- Management of Manufacturing System
- Machine Design-II
- Metrology Fluid Systems
- Metal Cutting & Tool Design
- Computer-Aided Manufacturing ELECTIVES (Choose any two) Refrigeration & Air-Conditioning Solar Energy
- Personal Management
- Metal Forming
- Automotive Engineering Manufacturing Information System
- Computer-Aided Design Project
- Quality Control & Quality Assurance
- Robotics ELECTIVES (Choose any two) Optimization Techniques Advanced Methods of Mfg.
- Mechanical Vibrations I.C. Engines, Emissions & Pollution Control Gear Technology
- Financial Management Power Plant practice Finite Element methods
- An analytical mind and critical thinking skills.
- Good laboratory skills.
- An ability to quickly assess large amounts of information and data.
- Leadership skills.
- Self-confidence and motivation.
- Good communication skills.
- Analytical Knowledge of Mathematics and Physics.
|Average Salary per annum|
|Plant Engineer||Responsible for working in manufacturing units and power plants, for maintenance of the plant equipment and as a manager in the plant. Also responsible for working with high efficiency to lower costs of production and cause higher profits to the manufacturing unit.||3 lakhs to 12.5 lakhs|
|Process Engineer||Responsible for developing new industrial processes, modifying the existing process of manufacturing and developing process simulation software for efficient production of the manufacturing unit, providing operating instructions in the plant.||3.5 lakhs to 10.5 lakhs|
|Project Engineer||Responsible for completing the project by proper planning, organization and controlling all the elements, ensuring safe and clean working environment by maintaining rules and regulation in the project, controlling the cost of the project by the approving the expenditure of the project and managing contractor contacts.||3 lakhs to 7 lakhs|
|Automation engineer||Automation engineers are mostly employed in car manufacturing companies and food processing plants, as in these units, robots are installed. They are responsible for applying technological solutions for controlling the production and in delivery of products. They design, program and simulate the automated machinery.||3 lakhs to 7.5 lakhs|
|Consultant||Responsible for analyzing technical issues and giving solutions for the same to clients in the industries, preparing documentation for clients as per the requirement of the project, providing technical and scientific advice to clients to handle the issues of the project effectively.||4 lakhs to 20 lakhs|
Q: What does an Automation Engineer do?
A: Automation engineers design, program, simulate and test automated machinery and processes in order to complete exact tasks. They typically are employed in industries such as car manufacturing or food processing plants, where robots or machines are used to perform specific functions.
Q: Is mechanical and automation engineering equivalent to mechanical engineering?
A: Mechanical and Automation Engineering is different from conventional Mechanical Engineering only in the sense that it has Automation as an additional topic of study. All core Mechanical Engineering subjects are covered in the curriculum. No, this will not be considered as equivalent to Mechanical engineering.