Geo-Informatics is a branch of Engineering that deals with the study of earth and associated informatics as well as with the spatial information that create a connection between people, location and activities digitally. Applications of the discipline of Geo-informatics include uses of satellite-based outcomes for various sectors such as water, agriculture, urban livelihood, rural development, forestry, global community.
- College of Engineering, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- University of Petroleum and Energy science (UPES), Dehradun
- SRM University, Kanchipuram
- Guru Jambheshwar University Institute of Science & Technology, Hisar
- Gayatri Vidya Parishad College of Engineering, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- University of Technology and Management, Shillong, Meghalaya
- Symbiosis Institute of Geo-informatics, Pune (M. SC)
- Amity Institute of Geo-Informatics & Remote Sensing (AIGIRS), Noida (M.SC)
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Institute of Environment Education and Research, Pune (M.SC)
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi (M. Sc)
- The use of Geo-informatics helps to tackle the problems related to Geography, Geoscience and related branches of Engineering.
- Moreover the Geo-informatics give a map as a result/output that a common man can easily understand and interpret.
|B. Tech||4 years||2-year intermediate Examination with Mathematics and Physics,||JEE Main, BITSAT, JEE Advanced, etc|
|M. Tech||2 years||qualified B.E. or B. Tech in the relevant stream with a minimum aggregate of 60% mark||JEE Advance, BITS HD, JIIT PGCET, GATE, etc|
|M. SC||2 years||completion of graduation in the Science stream with a minimum aggregate of 55%||No such entrances|
- Remote sensing Agency
- TCS (Tata Consultancy Services)
- Reliance Industries
- Indian space Research Organization (ISRO)
- Magnasoft Technology services
- For Admission in B. Tech- Students can get the application form direct from the concerned institute or by downloading it from it official website. After filling it they can send through post or online to the respective institutes or the students can attend the common entrance exams like AIEEE, IIT-JEE or the personal entrances of some colleges to get admission into the B. Tech course.
- For Admission in M. Tech- Candidates have to pass the entrance exam conducted for the admission in this course by different institutes. With 60% aggregate marks in B. Tech and qualified entrance test on can get admission in to the concerned institute/college. To enter IITs one have to qualify JEE Advance exam.
- For M. SC- One can get admission into various institutes in the M. SC program by qualifying the entrance exam of the respective institute with the required performance in graduate level.
- Fundamental of Remote Sensing
- Remote Sensing Platforms and Sensors
- Elements of Satellite Images
- Visual Image Interpretation
- Multispectral Remote Sensing
- Projections and geo-referencing
- Introduction to GIS
- GIS functionality
- Data Pre-processing
- Data processing
- Data transformation
- Data models
- Environmental Studies
- Designing Thinking
- Thermodynamic and Heat engines
- Involvement in Professional Organization
- A great network
- Basic programming knowledge
- Analytical and Critical thinking
- Sales Skills
- Project Management
- Software-specific knowledge
- Ability to apply expertise in multiple domains
- Customer support skill
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)
- JEE Main (Joint Entrance Examination-main)
- JEE Advanced
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission)
- JIIT PGCET (JIIT Post Graduate Common Entrance test)
Career and job prospect
|GIS Manager||Supervise a team of staff including programmers, cartographers, data manager, consult clients regarding the project purpose, purchase new equipment to improve the efficiency as well as investigate new GIS applications.||5.5 lacs to 10.5 lacs|
|GIS Engineer||Make maps and customizes GIS applications and then manipulate the data to serve various purposes, read, interpret maps and manage the digital data entered into the GIS database||1.5 lacs to 5.5 lacs|
|GIS System Analyst||Work with large databases containing spatial and aerial information such as the satellite images and hence use the information to make maps and develop specialized software||1.5 lacs to 5.5 lacs|
|GIS Programmer||Maintain and troubleshoot existing systems as well as upgrading software, involve project development and management.||2 lacs to 4 lacs|
|GIS Consultant||Responsible for managing digital mapping data and performing analyses to answer geographical questions, make maps for clients deduced from analytical data||1.5 lacs to 3.5 lacs|
|GIS Specialists||Creating maps, graphs using GIS systems, its software for data collection for expanding existing data sets||2 lacs to 4 lacs|
|Auto CAD Experts||Work in liaison with builders in drafting designs, establish requirements reading the area and required changes.||2 lacs to 4 lacs|
|Research Scientists||Designing, analyzing, evaluating and investigating the present data in order to generate newer hypothesis and scientific breakthroughs.||3 lacs to 4 lacs|
|Senior Sales Manager||Building business plans by identifying the selling prospects in order to upscale the profits.||9 lacs to 12 lacs|
|Engineers||Analyze, develop, evaluate and improve the current systems in order to create a refined version of the brands and projects.||3 lacs to 9 lacs|
Q: What is Geo-informatics?
A: Geo-informatics helps in developing information science infrastructure and solve the problems related to Geography, Cartography, Geosciences, etc.
Q: What is Geo-informatics scope?
A: There are various scopes for Geo-informatics in various subjects like Remote sensing, GPS, GIS, Cartography, hydrology, Climatology, Aerial photography, etc.