Community Medicine is a non specialty course that deals with the health of the members of a particular community, municipality, or region. The main aim of this course is to identify the health problems of the members of a particular community and ensure that the issues are taken care of with accordance to the national health policy of the country, and work ethically, and efficiently.
Admission for this course is selected strictly on the basis of merit, as determined by a competitive test, as per centralized entrance test held at the national level (AIPGMEE) and also as per guidelines of MCI.
Q: What are the career prospects after MD in Community Medicine?
A: They can continue on to master's degrees in public health to pursue a job in health education or health promotion. Getting a graduate degree can lead to an employee becoming a doctor, a supervisor, a researcher, an epidemiologist, or a professor. This has course options for a degree in public health can include biostatistics, behavioral science, epidemiology and environmental health. Students interested in working directly with patients can become doctors of osteopathic medicine. Based on educational background, co-workers in this sector can be employed as physicians, consultants, health educators, health interns, epidemiologists and researchers; a few of them are possibilities. There is just a sample of possible career choices you have in community health and preventive medicine.
Q: How is MD Community Medicine course beneficial?
A: It is beneficial to develop need based teaching and training programs and teaching materials for various health programs including its implementation and evaluation for the desired change in knowledge and skill. It is also important for further study, such as PhD. Apart from this, students opting for this course can also become professors or lecturers in various colleges and universities after taking certain courses like B.ed or qualifying exams like UGC- NET.
Q: What are the areas one can find employment in after completing MD Community Medicine?
A: Here are some areas where a student can find employment after completing MD Community Medicine-
- Health Care and Health Maintenance Organisations
- Health Services
- Medical Colleges and Public Health Schools
- Medical Research Organisations
- Pharmaceutical Industries
- Research Organisations
- State or Central Health Services
- UN and NGO's
Q: What are the skills that are needed to work in the Community Medicine field?
- They must have good communication and interpersonal skills as it is extremely important for them.
- They should have a liberal mind and a well- faring nature.
- Those who want to prepare for becoming a planner, manager, researcher, teacher, and philosopher in health issues ( specifically prevention, primitive, and rehabilitation health ) of individual, family, community, nation and cross- nations are suitable for it.
Q: What are the top colleges that provide Community Medicine?
A: The top colleges providing Community Medicine are:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- SRM Medical College and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Parul University, Gujarat
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- Nimra Institute of Medical Sciences, Andhra Pradesh
- Tantia University, Rajasthan
- Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar
- Adesh University, Punjab
- Amrita School of Medicine, Kochi
Q: Who are the top recruiters in Community Medicine?
A: The top recruiters in Community Medicine:
- Doctors Recruitment
- Technisearch Consultancy House (P) Ltd
- G & R Management Consultancy Pvt Ltd
- Pioneer Consultancy Services
- 7Skyee Consultancy Pvt Ltd
Q: What are the important skills required in Community Medicine?
A: The important skills required in Community Medicine
- Ability to work long hours under intense pressure
- Good practical skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Effective decision making skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication skills, compassion, and good bedside manner.
- Drive to continue learning throughout career
- Analytical skills
- Time management
Q: What are the most sorted out job profiles for community medicine?
A: The most sorted out job profiles in this field are as follows:
- Public Health Manager
- Internal Medicine Consultant
- Research Officer