Anesthesiology is the branch of medicine that specializes in minimizing pain and keeping the patient in a stable condition both during and after surgical procedures. Anesthesiologists are the physicians who specialize in perioperative care, developing anaesthetic plans and help ensure the safety of patients undergoing surgery. They also provide care for the patient to prevent the pain and distress they would otherwise experience. This field has undergone quite a lot of development over the last 30 years. In US the physicians who perform anesthesia are called anesthesiologist, whereas they are called anesthetist in UK. There are 3 kinds of anesthesia:
- Regional anesthesia- It only makes that part of the body unconscious which will undergo an operation.
- Local anesthesia- It is similar to regional anesthesia but it is applied only to a smaller area.
- General anesthesia- It makes the body unconscious.
For Diploma- In case of most of the institutes out there, minimum educational qualification required is- 10+2 passed with minimum 45% marks (may vary from one institute to another) in Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects. A state-level entrance exam (DET-Diploma Entrance Test) is sometimes required for the admission.
For B. Sc –The admission procedure of B. Sc Anesthesiology is different for different colleges. Some colleges take the students by mark obtained in the subjects Physics, Chemistry and Biology in their 12th examination, with a minimum of 45%.
Some institutions take the students by the score secured in the entrance exam.
For M. Sc- Candidates must have a completed degree in Anesthesiology and qualified entrance exam scored.
Post Graduate Diploma in Anesthesia-After completing the MBBS, a student can go for the Anesthesia programme by taking the PG entrance score.
Q: Is anesthesiology is a doctor?
A: Yes, an anesthesiologist is a doctor (MD or DO) who practises anaesthesia. Anesthesiologists are physicians specializing in perioperative care, developing anesthetic plans, and the administration of anesthetics.
Q: Is there any kind of entrance for Diploma in Anesthesiology?
A: For Diploma in Anesthesiology no entrance is required.
Q: What is the eligibility for B. Anesthesiology?
A: The student should have passed 10+2 or equivalent from a recognized Board and have to qualify the entrance exam.
Q: Are anesthesiologists in demand?
A: As the growing population seems to always be in demand for medical professionals; job growth for anesthesiologists is expected to increase by 10% to 20% over the next decade
Q: What are the top job profiles in this field?
A: Some of the top job profiles in this field are:
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Clinical Associate
- Anesthesia Technician
Q: What are the top entrances to consider for Anesthesiology?
A: Some of the top entrances to consider are:
- NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test)
- AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Science)
- AICET (All India Common Entrance Test)
- BVP CET (Bharati Vidyapeeth Common Entrance Test)
- University of technology Entrance Exams
- NIMS School of paramedical Science and Technology Entrance Exams
Q: What are the top colleges providing Anesthesiology as a course?
A: Some of the colleges providing this course are mentioned below:
- Agartala Government Medical College, Agartala
- Aligarh Muslim University, UP
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Kochi
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
Q: What are the skills required in this field?
A: Some of the skills required in this course are as follows:
- Medical Knowledge and Patient care skills.
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Physical Characteristic
- Decision making and Integration Skills