Ceramics is one of the most ancient Industries on the planet.Ceramics and Glass designing course is a mixture of creativity,art as well as technology. . Students studying Glass and Ceramic design course also explore material science, economics, research as well as efficient use and regulations for use of raw materials. The course, designed in a way that students learn technology for production of Glasses has advanced to designing in a way that is safe for environment and energy efficient.
- There is no restriction of stream and students from all stream i.e. Science/Commerce/Arts can pursue an undergraduate course in Ceramic and Glass Design.
- An extensive exposure provided towards craft sector, studio based practice as well as ceramic and glass industry brings in awareness towards wider range of production techniques and variety of work environments & work culture.
Eligibility and Course:
- Good Earth
- Micheal Aram
- Tata ceramics
- Clay craft
- Ekmatra Fashion
- Tripura Bamboo Mission Industries
- The candidates can get admission into the UG and PG courses by clearing the entrance exams respectively with the minimum marks obtained in the previous course they did such as 10+2 for UG and degree course for PG
- Candidates need to appear for the Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims conducted by the National Institute of Design.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Mains based on marks obtained in DAT prelims
- Admission is based on marks obtained in Design Aptitude Test Prelims (DAT Prelims) and Design Aptitude Test Mains (DAT Mains).
- Merit list of the overseas (supernumerary) category, will be prepared after all the stages of the admission process have been completed.
- Only those candidates with a score of 40% and above will be eligible for the admission.
- Seats remaining vacant in the overseas (supernumerary) category will lapse and will not be transferred to
- Enhancing the sensibility and sensitivity towards aesthetic & function of design
- Inputs in ergonomics for awareness in usability aspects
- Exposure to allied materials such as bamboo,wood,metal,leather,besides core materials
- Fundamentals of design including form,color,structure,space,light etc.
- work with a variety of industry,producing tableware,tiles,sanitary ware,as part of Industrial training.
- Leadership skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Commercial awareness
- Creative problem solving skills
- effective decision Making skills
- Organizational skills
- Negotiation skills
- Forward Planning skills
- Creative and zest for uniqueness
- Model making and Manufacturing
Career and Job Profile:
|Ceramics and Glass designer||Ceramic and Glass designer works at the manufacturing units of ceramic sculpture,domestic and commercial tableware and kitchenware, garden ceramics, giftware, Jewellery, mirrors, glass art, wall and floor tiles.They are familiar with technology that is used to design ceramics and glassware and work in construction market to design high-end products.||3-5 lakhs|
|Ceramist||work with clay, porcelain, bone china and stoneware to design and create pottery items, sculptures, homeware (i.e. tiles and flooring), tableware and cookware. These artists don’t just make these pieces, however; they also glaze, paint and decorate the finished products.||3-4 lakhs|
|Ceramic Engineer||An engineer with ceramic designing specialisation work on technology for manufacturing non-metallic and inorganic materials for Aerospace, Mining, Ceramic ware industry, construction industry, health care industry etc.||2.5-3.5 lakhs|
|Entrepreneur||Can create its own product and build a business around it.A person who undertakes a venture with some profit potential and involving a considerable amount of risk to try and make it as sucessful as it can.||5 lakhs upward|
Q: what is the difference between ceramic engineering and ceramic and glass design?
A: Ceramic engineering is the science and technology of creating objects from inorganic, non-metallic materials. This is done either by the action of heat, or at lower temperatures using precipitation reactions from high-purity chemical solutions while Ceramic and Glass discipline offers tremendous expressive qualities in the domain of art and creativity as well as functional possibilities in the realm of craft, architectural spaces, healthcare, hospitality industry, home décor, hi tech products and lifestyle product categories.
Q: What is the scope in the Ceramic and glass design course?
A: There is an ample of opportunities regarding this course. Job prospective is vast and a graduate can land a job in many MNC companies as well as can work as an consultant
Q: Can a Candidate pursue a Design Degree without a science background?
A: Yes absolutely a nonscience background student can make a career in designing irrespective of the previous background.
Q: What is ceramic?
A: The products of ceramic are penetrable, hard and delicate. So they are used to make pottery, bricks, tiles, cements, and glass. They are also used in gas turbine engines space shuttle program, ballistic protection, bio-medical implants, etc.
Q: What are the top entrances for ceramic and glass design?
A: The top entrances for ceramic and glass design are-
- NID Entrance Exam
- Central Universities Common Entrance Test
- JEE Main
- JEE Advanced
Q: What are the skills required for ceramic and glass design?
A: The skills required for ceramic and glass design-
- Creativity and zest for uniqueness
- Good knowledge of CAD technology, 3D model designing
- Soft skills
- Tools and techniques for hard material designing
- Material Knowledge
- Leadership skills, Presentational Skills, etc
Q: What is the job role of a Ceramics and Glass Designer?
A: The Ceramic and Glass designer works at the manufacturing units of ceramic sculpture, domestic and commercial tableware and kitchenware, garden ceramics, giftware, Jewellery, mirrors, glass art, wall and floor tiles. They are familiar with the technology that is used to design ceramics and glassware and work in the construction market to design high-end products.
Q: What are the top companies that provide scope for Ceramics and Glass Designer?
A: The companies that provide scope for Ceramics and Glass Designer are-
- Good earth
- Saint Gobain
- All India Artisans and Craftworkers Welfare Association (AIACA)
- AGC Group
- Michael Aram, etc