The career in the design industry has emerged as one of the most popular, glamorous, prosperous and competitive fields in recent years. Clothes are what affect our personality, enhance our style, and also our impression on others. The apparel industry is one of the finest branches in the Fashion world. It is different from that of Fashion design. An Apparel designer specifically focuses on designing, improving, and creating only one category of the garment. The main focus is on the trending fashion taste & designing, creating products like garments, footwear, ornaments, and things related to the fashion industry. Does an apparel designer basically conceptualize things like how to create a fine garment (keeping in mind the final outlook of the clothing)? Which designs to be used specifically and which place to use it on the clothing? They work for fashion-houses or for a fashion brand or company.
- NID (National Institute of Design), Ahmedabad.
- IDC, IIT Bombay.
- Pearl Academy
- NIFT, Delhi.
- MAEER'S MIT Institute of Design, Pune.
- Srishti School of Art Design and Technology
- Indian School of Design and Innovation (Mumbai)
- GD Goenka School of Fashion & Design,( Mumbai)
- Sir JJ Institute of Applied Art, (Mumbai)
- DJ Academy of Design, Tamil Nadu
- Larger apparel companies typically employ a team of designers headed by a creative designer.
- Some fashion designers specialize in clothing, footwear, or accessory design, but others create designs in all three fashion categories.
Courses and Eligibility:
|Diploma||1 year||should have passed XII or any equivalent examination from any recognized Board/Institution.||State-level entrance- DET|
|B.Des||4 year||should have passed 10+2 with at least 50% marks in aggregate from any recognized Institution/University, who have completed their diploma course in any stream are also eligible, need to clear any of the Design entrance exams to get admission.||CEED, UCEED, AIEED, Pearl Academic entrance exam|
- ColorPlus Fashions Ltd.
- Silver Spark Apparel Ltd.
- Everblue Apparel Ltd.
- Raymond Luxury Cottons Ltd.
- J.K. Helene Curtis Ltd.
- Ring Plus Aqua Ltd.
- To get admission into the diploma course of Apparel design one has to complete his/her 12th with a minimum of 50% of marks in any stream.
- One can go for the B.Des course after completing a diploma or after 12th with a minimum aggregate of marks.
- Fashion Design
- Fashion Accessory
- textile Science
- Pattern making and garment construction
- Fashion Merchandising and Management
- Fashion Ornamentation
- Computer-Aided Design
- A talent for choosing colors, forms, and patterns that appeal to consumers
- Detailed, hands-on personalities
- Creativity and originality
- Ability to carry out projects independently
- Well-developed business sense
- Ability to communicate with other designers when working on a team
- Knowledge of pattern construction, tailoring, and sewing, as well as computer-aided design software
Career and Job prospects:
The shine, glamour, and creative world of fashion always attracts each and every one. Apparel design is one branch of fashion designing which is equally important and demanding. The textile industry is in a lot of progress due to the growing urge to look different, better and unique. As a result, there is a rapid growth of apparel designing to cope with the increasing demands of the customer, opening new opportunities for Apparel designers. The starting salary that one can get in this industry can range from Rs. 2.5-8lakhs per annum, which can increase as per the growing experience and creativity.
|Clothing designers||create and help produce men's, women's, and children's apparel, including casual wear, suits, sportswear, evening wear, outerwear, maternity, and intimate apparel.||2.4 lacs onwards|
|Footwear designers||create and help produce different styles of shoes and boots. As new materials become available, such as lightweight synthetic materials used in shoe soles, footwear designers produce new designs that combine comfort, form, and function.||2.5 lacs to 3.5 lacs|
|Accessory designers||design and produce items such as handbags, suitcases, belts, scarves, hats, hosiery, and eyewear.||up to 9 lacs|
|Costume designers||design costumes for the performing arts and for motion picture and television productions. They research the styles worn during the period in which the performance takes place, or they work with directors to select and create appropriate attire.||1.5 lacs to 6 lacs|
Which Areas Fashion Designers Works?
A- Most fashion designers, however, work for apparel manufacturers, creating designs of men's, women's, and children's fashions for the mass market. Designer brands which have a 'name' as their brands such as Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren are likely to be designed by a team of individual designers under the direction of a designer director.
For Whom Fashion Designers Design?
A-Fashion designers design clothing and accessories also for women. Some high-fashion designers are self-employed and design for individual clients. Other high-fashion designers cater to specialty stores or high-fashion department stores. These designers create original garments, as well as those that follow established fashion trends.
Which Skills Are Important For A Fashion Designer For A Successful Career?
A- Designers have either combine marketing intelligence and artistic vision themselves or to be able to delegate business duties to hired specialists, agents, etc. while they focus on the art.