Knitwear design is a course very similar to Bachelor of Fine Arts and many of the subjects are same for both these courses. It trains design professionals who can cater to knitted apparel, which is a seeing a rise in the market in the present time. The technique is often related with woolen fabric, but is used in other fabrics as well to create designs, patterns, etc. This course can also be studied as a apart of fashion designing which deals with tools and techniques for manufacturing all kinds of fabrics.
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level. However, there is no restriction with respect to the subjects required.
Q: What are the career prospects for someone who finished B. Des in Knitting Design?
A: Successful graduates of the course are professionally trained in circular and flatbed knitting machines, and serve in the domestic and export fields. Such professionals are hired as:
- Creative Managers
- Production Managers
Q: What is the eligibility criteria for pursuing Knitwear Design as a career?
A: The course in Knitwear designing can be pursued by students who have completed their Class 10+2 level education from recognized schools affiliated to national/state education boards. There is no restriction of stream and students from all stream i.e. Science/Commerce/Arts can pursue an undergraduate course in Knitwear Design.
Q: What are top entrances to consider for Knitwear Design?
A: Some of the top entrances to consider for Knitwear Design are:
Q: Who are the top recruiters for Knitwear Design?
A: The top recruiters for Knitwear Design are:
- Arvind Brands
- Park Avenue
- Indian Terrain
- Cascade Enterprises
- Intertek India Private Limited
- Creative Lines
- ITC LRBD
- Future Groups
- H & M
- Marks and Spencer
Q: What are the important skills required in this field?
A: Some of the important skills required inn this field are as follows:
- Creative flair and artistic ability
- Interest in fashion and textiles
- Understanding of trends and materials
- Good eye for color, texture, fabric, and pattern
- Good communication skills
- Intrinsic knowledge of color, shades, and tones
- Quick learning
- Drawing, sketching, and graphics
- Observational and exploring attitude
- Ability to understand consumer and market demands to set new trends.
Q: What are the top colleges to consider for Knitwear Design?
A: The top colleges to consider are as follows:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kannur
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi
- Ansal University, Gurgaon
Q: What are the top job profiles in this field?
A: Some of the top job profiles are mentioned below:
- Knitwear Designer
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Forecaster
Q: What is the process of admission?
A: The admission process depends on management of different colleges. Some colleges have merit based admission and some colleges have entrance system for admission purpose.