Building and maintaining good relationships with customers and work for their satisfaction comes under the public relations function of corporate communication. As corporate communication and public relation share so many similarities they often grouped together in Universities. Corporate communication emphasizes on every movement of the company as well as manages the cooperation between different departments to run the organization/company smoothly whereas Public relation focus on balancing the bond between the company and various public to keep the reputation of the company through promoting with the help of editors & reporters.
Here are some of the best colleges in India for the study of public relation and corporate communication:
- Xavier’s Institute of Communication (XIC), Mumbai
- Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication, Pune and Symbiosis School of media and Communication, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Mass Communications (IIMC), Delhi Delhi school of communication (DSC), Delhi
- School of Communications & Reputation (SCoRe), MumbaiYMCA Institute for media studies and information technology, New Delhi
- Moreover Public Relation and Corporate Management is a practical field, so study in this course requires both theoretical and practical components.
- Public speaking, Writing speeches, scripts, proposals, Understanding the psychology of the customer/listener, facilitating the useful exchange of information, simplifying technical information are the highlights of the course.
|BA||3 years||10+2 from a recognized educational board||DU, JMI, JNU, BHU, IIMC etc|
|MA||2 years||Completed Bachelors degree (% vary from Institution to Institution)||DU, JMI, JNU, BHU, IIMC etc|
|Diploma|| 1 year||Bachelor’s degree with 50% marks||Entrances conducted by colleges/institution|
- Entertainment Industry
- International public relations
- Tourist Agency
- Political parties
- Educational Institutes
- Indian Civil Services
As most of the Institute and Colleges conduct their own Entrance exam, So they prefer to shortlist the candidates on the basis of the marks they score in the exam. After shortlisting, the next round of the process is personal interview to check the general aptitude of the student for the course. After the release of the final list of the candidates who qualify the PI round, Students can get admission into the college/Organization as per their admission procedure. Some of the Institutes allow direct admission to the candidates on the basis of their 10+2 marks level
Syllabus and course:
Syllabus of public relation (BA) by various Universities and colleges
- Corporate public relation and communication
- Community relation
- Financial relation
- Government affairs
- Issues management
- Industry Relation
- Introduction to mass communication and public relation
- Marketing communication
- Public affairs
- Media relation
- Special events
- Theory and practical of Advertising
- Writing skills for media etc.
Syllabus for Public relation (MA) may consists subjects like : Introduction to Public relation
- Public relation today
- Management of public relation
- PR and Marketing communication
- Application of public Relations
- Information Resources Management
- Organizational behavior
- Case studies in Public relation
- Master’s thesis
- A PR person must have good communication skills not only verbally but in writings too.
- He/she should have an impressive personality that can hold the attention of people to listen, to believe
- He/she must be a team player so that he can manage a team and take decisions jointly.
- He must have self-confidence and being able to see what is necessary and making plans for it.
- He must have strong analytical skills.
- The quality of understanding human psychology must be in him/her.
- He could take immediate decisions at any critical situation without being panicked.
As we know Public Relation and Corporate communication comes under the field of Journalism and Mass communication, some of the country’s best institutions conduct their own exams to choose candidates for admission. And the popular entrances are –
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC)
- Jamia Milia Islamic University (JMU)
- Delhi University
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- Symbiosis SET Exam for Mass Communication
- Xavier Institute of Communication Online Entrance Test (XIC OET)
Career and Job prospects:
Career in this field of Public relation and Corporate communication is highly demanding as everyone is looking for good publicity now a days. From Big Industries to local vendors, from politicians to actors everyone need a good PR team who can communicate with the media and help them maintaining their image before the public. And the PROs help interacting with the media and maintain a balance with the public/media.
|Job Position|| Job Description||Salary|
|Public Relation Officer||Manages reputation, Try to influence opinion & behavior||2.7 to 6.8 lacs|
|Communication officer||Write marketing communication material, collect information||5 to 9 lacs|
|Research analyst||Research and collect data like consumer’s demography, preferences, needs, buying habits||upto 5 lacs|
|Lecture||Teaches candidate at UG level, supervise with supervision of UG, taught graduate and research graduate student.||2.8 to 6.6 lacs |
|Director of External affairs||Managing staffs, guiding PR efforts, working with other executives||2.5 to 6.5 lacs|
|Media relation officer||Creat good image of the company/ Organisation/ brand using a huge media, PR, Public Campaign||2.8 to 9 lacs|
Q: What is PR course all about?
A: Public Relation is all about maintaining the connection with public/audience by keeping them informed. PR professionals can also maintain direct contact with the public through social media and blogs.