A career as a confectioner or baker isn’t limited to baking cakes and slices of bread. It is a specialized skill wherein one needs to constantly work towards innovating and experimenting in order to make an end product which not only tastes delicious but looks extraordinary.
Aspirants have to stand-out if they want to make their presence felt in this career profile. This is extremely necessary for today’s time and age wherein everything is available at the touch of a fingertip.
Thus, it is advisable to consider baking and confectionery as both an art and science because the entire process begins with deciding the ingredients that you will use and how you mix them up, but your task doesn’t end there, after this you need to determine how to present your product.
The industry has a huge demand for well-trained and efficient bakers and this is primarily due to the increasing number of restaurants, bakeries and confectionery stores in our country.
So, much so that even on festivals, people these days tend to give the traditional mithai shop a miss and head out to a good bakery so that their loved ones can savor their taste buds with pastries/cakes.
Famous bakers share that every course in baking and confectionery ideally teaches candidates how to weigh and measure ingredients. This task is followed by educating them on how to mix, divide as well mold dough followed by informing on how to set the dough so that it rises as per requirement. Baking and Confectionery courses also teach aspirants how to bake different types of bread as well as confectionery products. Once individuals learn all these skills, they are taught how to decorate their final product so that it looks presentable.
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM Faridabad)
- Delhi Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (DIHMCT)
- AMIRTA International Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Tamil Nadu
- Chandigarh Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (CIHMCT)
- Lovely Professional University
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM Bangalore)
- MGR Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Chennai
- M.M. Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Haryana
|Course Level||Diploma and Post-Graduate Diploma|
|Duration|| 1 year and 2 years respectively|
|Exam Type||Semester type|
Areas of Specialization -
- Theory of Bakery & Bakery Fundamentals
- Basic Bread & International Breads
- Cupcakes, Donuts, Croissants
- Gateaux and Pastries
- Different Types of Icing and Design - Butter, Royal, Fresh Cream
- Exotic Desserts
- Basic Chocolate Making
- Bakery Kitchen Management
Courses & Eligibility
|Diploma||1 year - 18 months||A minimum of 50% aggregate marks in 10th or +2 is required for this course.||Merit List |
|Post-Graduate Diploma||2 years||You need to be a graduate in any stream to pursue this course, but a graduate in Hotel/ Hospitality management is more preferred.|
- The Taj Group of Hotels
- Marriott International, Inc.
- The Leela Palaces, Hotels & Resorts
- The Leela Palaces, Hotels & Resorts
- Hyatt Hotels
- ITC Group of Hotels
- Hilton Worldwide
For Diploma: If a candidate is eligible to pursue this course, institutions have a cut-off list for you to get admitted. Different institutions have different cut-offs, so you need to check each institution for admission.
For Post-Graduate Diploma: Eligible candidates are admitted into institutions directly on the basis of merit list which is academic performance in graduation. If the candidate clears the cut-off of the specific college, they are followed by counseling where eventually they get admitted.
Top subjects taught in Bakery & Confectionery Management are:
- Fundamentals of Bakery & Confectionary
- Commodities and Costing
- Professional Baking Cake/ Introduction to Culinary Science
- Financial & Cost Accountancy/ Professional Baking Sweetbreads
- Quality Assurance Baking/ Baking Technology
- Food Entrepreneurship/ Baked Food-Product Test
- Food Safety and Hygiene
- Culinary Management - Menu Planning, Engineering & Costing
- Indian Cuisines & Food Culture
- Beverage and Wine Knowledge
- Soft Wheat Products and Processes
- Enrobed Chocolates, Pralines, and Truffles
You need to possess a few sets of skills to master this course, like:
- Baking Skills
- Attention to detail
- Culinary expertise
- Ability to adjust in any situation
- Pleasant personality and discipline
- Multitasking abilities
- Knowledge of food ingredients
- Good decision-making skills
There are no such exams for Bakery & Confectionery Management. Candidates are selected in both Diploma and Post-Graduation Diploma directly through their merit list.
Career & Job Prospects
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary Per Annum|
|Chef||A chef oversees a restaurant's kitchen by managing other members of the food preparation team, deciding what dishes to serve and adjusting orders to meet guests' requests. May assist in prep work, such as chopping vegetables, but more often will be involved in cooking specialty dishes.||2 - 4 lakhs|
|Catering Management||Catering managers lead teams of chefs and catering assistants. They are responsible for running the day-to-day catering operations and services in restaurants, hotels, and resorts. Catering managers are responsible for monitoring the quality of the food and service and for making sure that their outlets perform well.||4 - 5 lakhs|
|Baker||Work responsibilities of Baker include gathering ingredients to measure and mix them, operating ovens and grills, and keeping your work surfaces and equipment clean and sanitary. If you're a self-employed baker, you're also responsible for hiring and managing your staff.||2 - 4 lakhs|
|Food Stylist||A food stylist is a creative professional who prepares food for photographs or television. They will often work closely with chefs, editors, and photographers. Food stylists usually prepare dishes and use styling techniques so food looks great and lasts for the length of the photoshoot||3 - 4 lakhs|
Question: What is a confectionery product?
Answer: Confectionery is the art of making confections, which are food items that are rich in sugar and carbohydrates. Exact definitions are such as. Baker's confectionery, also called flour confections, includes principally sweet pastries, cakes, and similar baked goods.
Question: What is the difference between pastry and confectionery?
Answer: pastry is a baked food group which contains items made from flour and fat pastes such as pie crust; also tarts, bear claws, napoleons, puff pastries, etc while confection is a food item prepared very sweet, frequently decorated in fine detail, and often preserved with sugar, such as a candy, sweetmeat, fruit, etc.