Dental Surgery is a course which allows the students to make their career in the field of Dentistry. Those students who want to be a dentist can take this course as the first step towards their dream. The course duration varies as per the need of Internships. The average duration is between 3 years to 5 years. Interested candidates can continue this course via both regular and correspondence mode.
In India, there are about 300 colleges and among them, some even offer internships as a part of the course. This dentistry course teaches the students various treatments such as Oral Medicine and Radiology, Dental Materials, Surgical Procedures, Pedodontics, Oral Pathology, Dental Anatomy, and Oral Histology and Community Dentistry.
Top Colleges For BDS:
Here is the list of top 10 colleges which can be your choice for the course.
- Maulana Azad Institute Of Dental Sciences, New Delhi
- Manipal College Of Dental Sciences, Manipal
- Government Dental College, Mumbai
- Government Dental College, Bangalore
- Faculty Of Dental Sciences, King George's, Lucknow
- SDM College Of Dental Sciences, Dharwad
- Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College, Kolkata
The main specialization areas of Dentistry are,
- Orthodontics dealing with straightening and aligning teeth and jaws
- Periodontics specialized in dealing with the care of gums and the diseases that might afflict them
- Endodontics or Operative Dentistry for root canal jobs, fillings, and cosmetic surgery
- Prosthodontics which involves the making of artificial teeth
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery dealing specifically with operations on the mouth and jaw
- Pediatric Dentistry for treating children
- Oral Pathology which provides the diagnosis for diseases that affect them
|Duration||3 – 5 years|
|Basic Eligibility Criteria||10+2 (Min. score 50%)|
|Admission Procedure||Entrance exam qualification followed by Counselling|
|Job Opportunities||Dentist, Dental Surgeon, Dental Assistant, Dental lab Technician, Medical Representative, Private Practitioner, Professor, Consultant|
Courses & Eligibility
|B.E/B.TECH||4 years||Must have passed 12th or +2 at a minimum aggregate mark of 50% with science stream and physics, chemistry, mathematics, and biology as core subjects.||JEE Main, AIPMT, AICET BDS|
|M.D.S||3 years||Must have completed BDS(Bachelor in Dental Surgery) from a recognized university with an aggregate mark of 55%.||AIPGDET, GATE, IPU CET|
Here is the list of the top recruiters for the BDS course.
- Dr Reddy’s Laboratories
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
- Abbott India
The candidates need to pass the entrance exam to secure their place for the course. The most popular entrance is AICET BDS. The candidates can go for other exams like NEET, MU OET, DUMET, AIPMT and COMEDK. However, the further selection process will be conducted as per the university rules. There are many universities which go for a counselling process for selection.
BDS Selection Process:
The selection process varies from university to university. Some of the universities take admission only on the basis of scores in the relevant entrance exams. However, there are some universities which may go for a counselling procedure.
Syllabus and courses:
- History of Surgery
- General Principles of Surgery
- Principles of Operative Surgery
- Transmissible Viral Infections
- Shock and Hemorrhage
- Tumours and Ulcers
- Dental Anatomy, embryology & Oral History
- Dental Materials
- Diseases of the Oral Cavity
- Diseases of the Lymphatic System
- Neck Swellings
- Nervous System
- Head Injury Management
- Oral Pathology & Oral Microbiology
- General Surgery
- Oral Medicine & Radiology
- Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry
- Swellings of the Jaw
- Disease of Thyroid and Parathyroid
- Public Health Dentistry
SEMESTER IX & X:
Some Of The Best Books In Dentistry
- Dental Secrets by Stephen T. Sonis
- Contemporary Fixed Prosthodontics by Stephen F. Rosenstiel
- Wheeler's Dental Anatomy, Physiology and Occlusion by Major M. Ash
- Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition by Ramiel Nagel
- Dental Bleaching: Operative Dentistry 6 by Martin G.D. Kelleher
- Oral Radiology: Principles and Interpretation by Stuart C. White
Human values and humanities don’t come with educational degrees. Though these doctors deal with humans at their most crucial stages so they should possess certain qualities like patience, politeness, ability to build a harmonious relationship with their patients, strong ethics, service mentality, self-motivation, understanding etc. In addition to these, a good doctor should have the ability to deal with young patients (children) with love and the ability to understand their behaviour, Good communication skills and keen observation and playful manner around children.
Top Entrance Exam For BDS:
The top entrance exams conducted for BDS degree are:
- AICET BDS: This entrance allows the students to apply for dental science in the private colleges for Chhattisgarh. NEET: NEET is a qualifying entrance examination for admission in medical courses. It is accepted by institutes like Banaras Hindu University and Armed Forces Medical College.
- AIPMT: Being held this year in May by CBSE, it is an entrance test accepted by most of the top universities. The syllabus for this test includes Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- MP DMAT: Conducted by APDMC every July in Madhya Pradesh, it is a test that offers entry into a career in the medical field. The questions asked in the entrance test are from Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
Career & Job Prospect:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary per annum|
|Dental Hygienist||Dental hygienist’s daily duties include removing plaque from and polishing a patient's teeth during a routine checkup, screening patients, reviewing a patient's oral health history and teaching appropriate brushing and flossing techniques. They also use X-ray machines to take pictures of the teeth and develop the film for the dentist's analysis.||2 – 2.4 lakhs |
|Dental Assistant||They make patients as comfortable as possible in the dental chair, prepare them for treatment, and obtain their dental records. Assistants hand instruments and materials to dentists and keep patient’s mouths dry and clear by using suction or other devices, and also sterilize and disinfect instruments and equipment, prepare trays of instruments for dental procedures, and instruct patients on postoperative and general oral health care.||1.8 – 2 lakhs |
|Oral Pathologist||Patients who have certain symptoms or conditions may be referred to an oral pathologist from their general dentist. Oral pathologists may complete dental exams, review dental x-rays and perform tissue and bone biopsies in order to diagnose a condition, such as oral cancer or an infection. ||2 – 2.5 lakhs |
|Dental Lab Technician/ ceramics||As a dental lab technician/ ceramist, you will make dental ceramics and dental prosthetics such as bridges, dental implants, and porcelain or ceramic crowns. Your job duties include filling prescriptions for specially ordered dental materials and supplying dental ceramics using the tools and equipment in a dental lab. Your work relies on your dental lab skills.||2.5 – 3 lakhs |
|Dental Surgeon||Dental surgeons Perform surgery and related procedures on the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial regions to treat diseases, injuries, or defects. May diagnose problems of the oral and maxillofacial regions. May perform surgery to improve function or appearance||3 – 3.5 lakhs|
Q: What are the career options after BDS?
A: The career option varies from being a Dental surgeon to being a medical representative. For details check the "Career and Job Profile" section above.
Q: What are the requirements for the bachelor of dental surgery?
A: There is an eligibility criterion set for the BDS course. Those who will qualify the criteria will be able to study BDS. For detailed eligibility criteria check the "Eligibility" section above.