General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) is all about the education of Nurses in general health care, nursing, and midwifery to make them able to work with health Institutions and organizations. As they are trained about a variety of diseases, these nurses work with the doctors in the emergency room, check the heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, and give medications to the patients on daily basis. Some of them specialize in one group like labor and delivery nursing and help during the time of childbirth.
The diploma in the General Nursing and Midwifery or GNM course is the 3 to 4 year in the diploma in paramedics. The nursing and midwifery focus on the provision of care to individuals, families and the communities. The GNM course is geared to the health needs of the individual, family, community and the country at large. The sole purpose is to prepare nurses to function as the efficient members of the health team, where the beginning with the competencies for the first level positions in all the kinds of health care settings.
- PDM University, PDMU, Haryana
- National Institute of Medical Sciences, Jaipur
- Indian Army Military, IAM, New Delhi
- Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, GTBH, New Delhi
- Armed Forces Medical College, AFMC, Pune
- Mayo Institue of Medical Sciences, MIMS, Faizabad
The highlights for the course study of the General Nursing and Midwifery are :
|Examination Type||Semester type/ year-wise|
Courses & Eligibility
|Diploma||3 years||candidates must have passed 10, +2 with subjects Physics, Chemistry, biology, and English and a minimum of 45% marks.||AIIMS Entrance Exam, AFMC Entrance Exam|
The top recruiters for the course study of General Nursing and Midwifery :
- Indian Red Cross Society
- Indian Nursing Council
- State Nursing Councils
- Doris Hospital
Most of the institutes offering the course admit students based over the performance in a relevant entrance test. Admission Process is generally varied across the colleges. There are few institutes who provide direct admission based over the candidate's performance at the relevant 10+2 level.
Syllabus and Courses
The syllabus and the courses for course study of General Nursing and Midwifery are :
- Biological Sciences
- First Aid
- Environmental Hygiene
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Communicable Diseases
- Orthopedic Nursing
- Ear, Nose, and Throat
- Computer Education
- Internship Period
- Health Economics
- Introduction to Research
- Professional Trends and Adjustment
- Administration and Ward Management
- Pediatric Nursing
The skills required for the course study of General Nursing and Midwifery are :
- The will to help people.
- Must take the decisions practically.
- Must be good with time management skills and the ability to get well with people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Must have the ability to take responsibility and stay calm in stressful situations.
- Must have a mature approach.
The top entrances for the study of the course of General Nursing and Midwifery are :
- AIIMS -All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- AFMC Entrance Exam- Armed Forces Medical College
- NUTMEG- Nitte University Mangalore
- Banaras Hindu University - BSc Nursing Admission Test
- PPMET - Punjab Para Medical Entrance Test
- CMC Ludhiana - Entrance Test for Admission to BSc Nursing Courses
Career and Job Prospects
Average Salary Per Annum
|Clinical Nurse Specialist||Clinical Nurse Specialists work in doctor's facilities, hospitals, clinics, medical centers, and other healthcare centers. They are typically specialists in particular areas, for example, Gerontology, Cardiovascular Health, or Public Policy.||4 - 4.5 lakhs|
|Legal Nurse Consultant||Legal Nurse Consultants are registered nurse attendants who offer medical data to legal entities and experts about medicine-related cases. Expert counsel may constitute recognizing gauges of care, surveying medical records, or preparing reports and outlines about wounds or sicknesses.||5 - 5.5 lakhs|
|Forensic Nurse||Legal Nurse Consultants are registered nurse attendants who offer medical data to legal entities and experts about medicine-related cases. Expert counsel may constitute recognizing gauges of care, surveying medical records, or preparing reports and outlines about wounds or sicknesses.||5 lakhs|
|Travelling Nurse ||A travelling Nurse is a healthcare professional who helps constantly sick or homebound patients or helps medical offices with staffing deficiencies. Some Travel Nurses move between hospitals, schools, and clinics.||2 - 2.5 lakhs|
Question: What does Nursing and Midwifery Council do?
Answer: The role of Nursing and Midwifery Council is to protect health and well being of the public, set standards of education, training, conduct, and performances so that the nurses and the midwives can deliver high-quality healthcare consistently throughout their careers.
Question: What are the different levels of nurses?
Answer: The different levels of nurses are :
- Nursing Assistant (CNA) Nursing Assistants also go by the title of nursing aides or CNAs Certified Nursing Assistants
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs)