Patna Medical College, Patna was established as Temple Medical School in 1874 with the admission of 30 students with fees of Rs. 2/- only per students for the whole course. This trend continued till 1925. After than Temple Medical School was shifted to Darbhanga and it was replaced by Medical College is known as Prince of Wales Medical College, Patna. The formal inauguration of this medical college was done on 25th February 1925. Various building were constructed by the donations from Princely states of Bihar. The first batch of 35 students were transferred from Calcutta Medical College, Calcutta to Prince of Wales Medical College, Patna. This medical college can rightly claim to be the torch bearer of medical education in Bihar. The postgraduate course was started in 1932.