Surgery is a medical specialty that uses operative manual and instrumental techniques on a patient to investigate or treat diseases or injuries, to help improve bodily function or appearance or to repair unwanted ruptured areas. The act of performing surgery may be called a "surgical procedure", "operation", or simply "surgery"
Surgery is a hugely rewarding discipline with a good balance between intellectual input and physical interaction. While largely providing for the needs of operative intervention, surgeons maintain a key role in the diagnosis, investigation and medical care of patients in emergency and elective practice.
Trainees selecting surgery as a possible career path have to select any one specialty within surgery. The specialties are as follow-
• cardiothoracic surgery
• general surgery
• otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat surgery)
• paediatric surgery
• plastic surgery
• urology surgery
• oral and maxillofacial
FUTURE PROSPECTS OF SURGERY
Surgery always has a prime of place in modern medicine science and only the kind of surgery practiced undergoes constant transformation.
Many a diseases like heart disease, end stage kidney disease, end stage liver disease etc have come under the realm of surgery to challenge the surgeon. So the demand of surgery in future is never ending.
Surgery is the postgraduate level education and can be pursued only after the completion of MBBS. So the steps involved in the process of becoming a surgeon are as follows-
Bachelor Courses (4 year):
Master Courses (2 year)
Human values and humanities don’t come with educational degrees. Though these doctors deal with humans at their most crucial stages so they should possess certain qualities like patience, politeness, ability to build harmonious relationship with their patients, strong ethics, service mentality, self-motivation, understanding etc.
TOP MEDICAL COLLEGES IN INDIA
• All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi.
• Christian Medical College, Vellore.
• Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi.
• Armed Forces Medical College, Pune.
• Kasturba Medical College, Manipal.
• Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi.
• Grant Medical College, Mumbai
BEST BOOKS FOR SURGERY
• The Mont Reid Surgical Handbook
• A Textbook: Cameron, Current Surgical Therapy
• Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopedia
The ICU Book
• The Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide
• Zollinger Atlas of Surgical Operations