Deccan College Post Graduate & Research Institute, Pune is the third oldest educational institution in the country. Stretching back to the Dakshina Fund started by Khanderao Dabhade, a Maratha Sardar and continued by the Peshwas for propagating learning, the Dakshina Fund was given the status of an institution named as the Hindoo College on 6th October 1821 (Vijayadasami day) by Mountstuart Elephantine, the enlightened Governor of Bombay Presidency. The land for the campus was donated by the Bombay Government and the Foundation stone of the main Building was laid on 15th October 1864. At this stage the College was renamed as Deccan College in recognition of the enrolment of students from the entire Deccan region. This Institute has emerged as a foremost center in the world of higher learning and research. It has produced a galaxy of students who rose to positions of excellence in various walks of life.